It is an information system that controls manufacturing, in time and quantity, in each of the internal processes of a factory or with other companies. The most beneficial cause is the limit on the maximum amount of inventory in the system.
It is characterized by:
• Allows communication of Production needs
• It is method aimed to producing JIT
• Activates the material process on a "Pull" basis. The Kanban card is a sign.
• Links production processes and other companies within the "Supply Chain"
• Enables stock control
• Acts as a traffic light to limit overproduction
• Indicates order of use of materials on a FIFO basis