Lean thinking focuses on eliminating non-added value to increase capacity / productivity, reducing costs and shortening the cycle time that elapses from when the order is received until the product is shipped to the Customer.
On the way to implement the Lean philosophy, we have numerous techniques and tools that help us to attack these Goals. Within these techniques we find the:
• Continuous Improvement (Kaizen): seeks small-scale improvements on an ongoing basis
• Radical Improvement: Look for large-scale improvements in certain areas
Many Clients think that these two paths must be approached in different phases, but from DIT Consultoría we propose that it is perfectly feasible to implement both techniques in parallel (or to start with Radical Improvements and quickly implement Continuous Improvement)
In the case of Radical Improvement, it is important to establish the following milestones:
• Define, together with the Client, projects of a few months that have a high impact on the income statement (associated with improvements in people's productivity, increases in the efficiency of facilities, reduction of stocks...). Establish the duration of the project (6 months) and the period in which it is estimated to obtain benefits (normally 3 months)
• Create multidisciplinary teams for each project, in which all departments that can provide support throughout each project are represented. A Leader will be appointed to manage the project and its representation for the organization
• Define the KPIs that will allow to clearly control the evolution of the project and associate them with the economic benefits that are intended to be achieved
• Begin with the analysis phase of the area involved in the project, making direct observations at the plant, obtaining relevant data available in the system, ... This phase should take between 1-2 months, although the "quick wins" that are detected will have immediate implementation
• Establish a diagnosis according to the analysis and launch an action plan with those responsible for each action and with an estimated deadline for completion. In addition, the impact of each action on the project objective will be established
• The project team will establish weekly meetings with all its members to verify the progress and impact of the actions. At these meetings, the Team can launch new actions, discard any of the proposed ones,… Organizational actions that do not involve spending or that are of low volume will be prioritized. In case of identifying actions that involve significant investments, they will be removed from the scope of the radical improvement project and transferred to projects with investments
• The Leader will report the progress of the project monthly through the evolution of KPIs and Highlights in a Steering Committee in charge of controlling Radical Improvement projects, redirecting any action, unblocking problems that may arise, ... The Steering Committee will be formed by all the project leaders, DIT Consultoría and the members of the Company Management involved in Improvement
At DIT Consultoría we actively participate in each of the milestones defined, being one more member of Project Teams and supporting the tasks and actions that arise throughout the duration of the Radical Improvement Project.